"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on how to mathematically express a relationship in which a vector can be any 3D unit vector

Parent

how to mathematically express a relationship in which a vector can be any 3D unit vector

+3
−0

I'm currently doing some work with 3D rotations and exponential coordinates. Exponential coordinates $\mathbf{s} \in \mathbb{R}^3$ are a rotation parameterization defined as $$\mathbf{s} = \theta \mathbf{e}$$ where $\mathbf{e} \in \mathbb{R}^3$ is a unit-length axis of rotation, and $\theta \in [0,\pi]$ is an angle of rotation. The set of all axes is equivalent to the 2-sphere, $\mathcal{S}^2$: $$\mathcal{S}^2 = \{ \mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^3 ~~~ | ~~~ \lVert \mathbf{x} \rVert = 1 \} .$$

Given a set of exponential coordinates $\mathbf{s}$, the angle can be recovered as follows: $$\theta = \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert .$$ If $\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert \neq 0$, then the axis can be recovered as follows: $$\mathbf{e} = \mathbf{s}/\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert .$$ However, if $\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert = 0$, then any unit-length axis can be used as the axis $\mathbf{e}$.

I'm wondering how to express this relationship as an equation. Below are some of my ideas, but none are entirely satisfactory to me:

idea 1: $$\mathbf{e} = \begin{cases} \mathbf{s}/\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert \neq 0 \\ \text{any 3D unit vector}, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert = 0 \end{cases}$$

idea 2: \begin{align} \mathbf{e} &= \mathbf{s}/\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert &\neq 0\\ \mathbf{e} &\in \mathcal{S}^2, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert &= 0 \end{align}

idea 3: $$\mathbf{e} = \begin{cases} \mathbf{s}/\lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert \neq 0 \\ \mathbf{x} ~~~ | ~~~ \mathbf{x} \in \mathbb{R}^3, ~\lVert \mathbf{x} \rVert = 1, & \lVert \mathbf{s} \rVert = 0 \end{cases}$$

What is the best way to express the relationship/mapping from $\mathbf{s}$ to $\mathbf{e}$ mathematically (using the equations above or something else)?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

If I understand the situation correctly, the problematic issue is the zero rotation, and the issue is that if you do not rotate things at all, than that corresponds to a zero rotation around any axis.

If this is true, then I could understand any of your three ideas. The third one might be marginally harder to read because of the spacing, but that can be dealt with; it is typography, not mathematics.

In idea two you might want to add the word «or».

But generally, I would use whichever is clearest and uses as similar notations as you use for similar ideas in the rest of the text.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Thanks for the response. Do you have any suggestions of how to add curly braces to **idea 2**? I'm no... (2 comments)
Thanks for the response. Do you have any suggestions of how to add curly braces to **idea 2**? I'm no...
Trevor‭ wrote 11 months ago

Thanks for the response. Do you have any suggestions of how to add curly braces to idea 2? I'm not sure how to do it because one case has an "equals" sign and the other case has a "is a member of" symbol.

tommi‭ wrote 11 months ago

Good point. Maybe using the word "or" is warranted there.