"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Without trial and error, average(average(a,b),c) vs. average(a,average(b,c)).

Without trial and error, average(average(a,b),c) vs. average(a,average(b,c)). [closed]

+0
−6

Closed as unclear by Peter Taylor‭ on Nov 27, 2021 at 20:54

This question cannot be answered in its current form, because critical information is missing.

This question was closed; new answers can no longer be added. Users with the reopen privilege may vote to reopen this question if it has been improved or closed incorrectly.

EXCLUDE Trial and Error. If $a = b = c = 0$, then obviously both sides are equal. My child is 14 y.o. We prefer pretty proofs by picture (but beware), AND intuition! Recondite algebra is not required.

But how do I systematically deduce when $\overline{\overline{a, b}, c} = \frac{a}{4}+ \frac{b}{4} + \frac{c}{2}$

• = AND
  • $\neq$

$\overline{a, \overline{b, c}} = \frac{a}{2} + \frac{b}{4} + \frac{c}{4}$?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

3 comment threads

Post Feedback (4 comments)
I can't even guess at what you're asking. (1 comment)
I do appreciate the irony though (1 comment)
Post Feedback
r~~‭ wrote over 2 years ago

This was closed Somewhere Else (https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/4314855/without-trial-and-error-averageaveragea-b-c-vs-averagea-averageb-c), and should be closed here for the same reason. You got good feedback on that post, ignored it, and submitted exactly the same question here without trying to improve it. math.CD is not a dumping ground for your rejected, low-effort questions.

Chgg Clou‭ wrote over 2 years ago

"CD is not a dumping ground for your rejected, low-effort questions." This is unmannerly. And you're assuming without evidence I'm that inquirer on Stack Exchange, that can unjustifiably close excellent questions.

I don't think you understand. This question isn't closed because it's a repost from SE. This question is closed because it's a bad question. It would be a bad question regardless of whether it was original or a repost. However, the fact that it's a repost of a closed question means that not only have you posted a bad question, but you have done so knowing full well that it's a bad question—you can't claim ignorance or that you tried your best. That is unmannerly. I consider that a hostile act, in fact. I am interested in being welcoming to newcomers who don't know the ropes, in the hope that they will learn and eventually be positive contributors. I am not interested in welcoming people who willfully refuse to improve; our community is better off without such.

All the above is true even in the absurdly unlikely case (perhaps you don't realize just how idiosyncratic your writing style is) that you've reposted someone else's closed question verbatim. You still know it's a question that doesn't meet SE's standards, and so you've decided to try it out here instead. The implication is that you think our standards are or might be lower. That implication is an insult to this community.