"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Second mean value theorem proof (differentiation)

Second mean value theorem proof (differentiation)

+0
−0

Since $F(x)$ is continuous in the closed interval [a,a+h] and differentiable in the open interval (a,a+h). Also f(a) = f(b) so by Rolle's theorem we get

$$F'(a+\theta h)=0,a<a+\theta h<a+h$$

As you seen in the quoted description (I took it from my book) $f(a)=f(b)$ But, I saw in the same book in my language they wrote that $F(a)=F(a+h)$ instead of $f(a)=f(b)$. I think it's a mistake. But, I can't understand which one is correct. Even, I can't see any derivation of the equation $F'(a+\theta h)=0,a<a+\theta h<a+h$

book

book

Let $$F(x)=f(x)+(a+h-x)f'(x)+A(a+h-x)^2$$-----1

$$=>F(a)=f(a)+(h)f'(a)+A(h)^2$$--------2

Differentiate (1) respect to $x$ :

$$F'(x)=f'(x)-f'(x)+(a+h-x)f''(x)-2A(a+h-x)$$ $$=>F'(x)=(a+h-x)f''(x)-2A(a+h-x)$$ $$=>F'(a+\theta h)=(h-\theta h)f''(h+\theta h)-2A(h-\theta h)$$

As we seen, from that book $F'(a+\theta h)=0$.

So,

$$=>2A(h-\theta h)=(h-\theta h)f''(h+\theta h)$$

$$=>A=\frac{f''(h+\theta h)}{2}$$

Put the value in (1). Then, you will get second mean value theorem. Sorry! I can't edit it now for shortness of time.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

What is the context? (3 comments)
From what book is this? (6 comments)
From what book is this?
JRN‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

From what book is this?

deleted user wrote almost 3 years ago

JRN‭ Advanced Calculus |... Is the question necessary?

JRN‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

I asked you to identify the book so I can look up the context, what was before and what was after the text you quoted. But your answer does not identify the book (you didn't state the author, publisher, or year of publication). Perhaps if you showed an image of the page of the book in question, the readers of your question would be able to understand your misunderstanding.

JRN‭ I didn't give picture cause, you won't understand lot of texts.. That's why I didn't give picture. I am adding picture and proving the whole theorem what I did.

r~~‭ wrote almost 3 years ago

I think the feedback given in the other thread is better. Citing edition and page number doesn't make the question any clearer; it just makes it possible for someone to do detective work to fill in details that the asker should have provided in the first place. An image of the page doesn't lead to a good question either. It's far better to encourage askers to restate in their own words the theorem and any definitions used by the proof.

r~~‭ i thought i can't mention you. But, finally i can.😅. Anyway, actually asker sometime may mistake While typing. Or, they misunderstand also. Thats why he requested me to post an image of that book.