"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How can we prove that a point that follows another point has the same trajectory given a contant angle and ratio?

Parent

How can we prove that a point that follows another point has the same trajectory given a contant angle and ratio?

+0
−0

So suppose that we have a point called $P$ that moves along the circle $O_1$. The parametric equations of $P$ are given by:$$\begin{aligned}x(t) &= \cos(t) + 5 \\y(t) &= \sin(t) + 3 \\&\text{Or}\\\overrightarrow{P(t)} &= \begin{Bmatrix}\cos(t) + 5 \\\sin(t) + 3\end{Bmatrix}\end{aligned}$$ This point $P$ is connected to the point $A(0,0)$. Another line segment from $A$ that is connect to a point is called $Q$. The angle between the two line segments is $\alpha$, and the ratio between the lengths of the two segments is a constant $k$. We want to determine the trajectory of point $Q$. It seems obvious that the trajectory of $Q$ is a circle, but I found out that it's quite difficult to prove it. Because I couldn't see how to use the dot product correctly.

Here is an image of the situation I described (one of the possible situations): Trajectory of two points

I attempted to use the dot product as follows:$$\cos(\alpha)=\frac{\overrightarrow{P(t)}\cdot\overrightarrow{Q(t)}}{|\overrightarrow{P(t)}|\cdot|\overrightarrow{Q(t)|}}$$ However, this approach did not help me isolate the term involving $\overrightarrow{Q(t)}$. I could have proven that the trajectory of $Q$ is a circle if $\alpha$ is $90$ degrees, but not for a general angle $\alpha$. Is there an extra formula that I need to use or did I need to use another approach?

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

The dot product cannot be sufficient because even making substitutions to minimise the occurrences of $Q$ we get $$\cos(\alpha)=\frac{\overrightarrow{P(t)}\cdot\overrightarrow{Q(t)}}{k|\overrightarrow{P(t)}|^2}$$ there are two solutions in the plane.

I personally would tackle this by complex numbers, but to keep it more geometric we can express the relationship as $$Q(t) = k \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\alpha) & \sin(\alpha) \\ -\sin(\alpha) & \cos(\alpha) \end{pmatrix} P(t)$$

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

Thank you for your answer. May I ask how you derived this expression for $Q(t)$? Because I'm not very... (3 comments)
Thank you for your answer. May I ask how you derived this expression for $Q(t)$? Because I'm not very...
Bennyshinichi‭ wrote 3 months ago

Thank you for your answer. May I ask how you derived this expression for $Q(t)$? Because I'm not very familiar with matrices.

Derek Elkins‭ wrote 3 months ago

Answering for Peter Taylor, it's a rotation matrix. You could derive it, as you could any matrix, by considering a rotation operator and computing where it sends basis vectors. In this case, you could compute that the vector $(1,0)$ gets sent to $(\cos\alpha,\sin\alpha)$ by a (counter-clockwise) rotation by $\alpha$ radians. Similarly, $(0,1)$ gets sent to $(-\sin\alpha,\cos\alpha)$.

However, like Peter Taylor, I would recommend the approach using complex numbers. Here the key formula is Euler's formula: $e^{\alpha i}=\cos\alpha +i\sin\alpha$. You can take this as given or it can be derived in a variety of ways, e.g. expanding in Taylor series or recognizing that it is a solution to $\frac{d^2 f}{d\alpha^2}=-f$. The formula is then $Q(t)=ke^{\alpha i}P(t)$ where we identify a point $(x,y)$ in the plane with the complex number $x+iy$. The problem is then a simple matter of thinking what circular motion looks like using complex numbers and then multiplying.

Bennyshinichi‭ wrote 3 months ago · edited 3 months ago

Thank you so much for your help! As I could follow the most parts, I will definitely look back on this once I have learned more about these topics.