Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Editing other people's post shouldn't be allowed

Editing other people's post shouldn't be allowed

+0
−9

The way my posts are written is the intended one, if someone edits them without my permission, he is violating my will. I hope it is a bug and people only wanted to propose an edit, not forcing it, but I don't expect it to be the case, honestly and sadly. If my prose is poor, my answer erroneous, or my formatting confusing or ugly, either ask me to change them or downvote me, if someone makes the changes for me, it is not my answer anymore: my real answer was replaced and the alternative one is put under my name. If someone is not agreeable and doesn't want to change his answer, anyone can write a new one using the arguments of the "bad" one, after all the most restrictive license is CC BY-SA 4.0.

I request users be able to edit only their own posts.

History
Why does this post require attention from curators or moderators?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

This post is great example of why anyone should be able to edit. (7 comments)
This post is great example of why anyone should be able to edit.
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote 5 months ago

I just edited your post to correct an obvious typo. You wrote "it is no my answer anymore", when you clearly meant "it is not my answer anymore".

It would noise up the site and be more work for multiple people if I first had to leave a comment, then wait for you to fix your mistake, then have a mod delete the comment.

JohnnyJohn‭ wrote 5 months ago

I agree, I accepted your edit because it is not intrusive, you only wanted to help and you were right, so I was okay with it. But I wouldn't be happy if you had actually edited it instead of make a request. I made an error? Yes, but it is my error so please let me fix it. If personal expression is irrelevant, make every post anonymous. Why would I want to have my name attached to a text over which I have no control?

if I first had to leave a comment, then wait for you to fix we don't have to get rid of the edit requests, only of the impositions.

ArtOfCode‭ wrote 5 months ago

JohnnyJohn‭ That's great for users like yourself who are active and who respond to feedback and suggestions. What about for users who post something, come back to check it once, and never return? Should we be obliged to leave their post as is with all their errors intact for fear of altering their expression? That's one of the reasons we have direct edits. It also helps users who, for example, have English as a second language - they can post without the burden of checking absolutely every word, because if there are small errors remaining the community will correct them.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote 5 months ago · edited 5 months ago

JohnnyJohn‭ The only reason you saw my edit as a request as apposed to an outright change is that I don't have the edit privilege on this site yet. It was not my intent to make a request. That was imposed by the system.

I agree, edits shouldn't change author intent or style. But there are often cases, like this one, where there is an obvious mistake that can be easily fixed. We don't want to wait for authors, who may no longer be around, to fix them. If someone abuses the system, then there is recourse. You are notified when any of your posts are edited. You can roll back the edit if you object to it. All edits are tracked, so vandals are unlikely in the first place, and their damage can be undone and the user dealt with in the very rare case they do occur. Maybe it's happened, but I don't remember a vandalous edit here on Codidact ever. It's better to optimize for the common case and treat the rare cases as exceptions that take more work to deal with.

JohnnyJohn‭ wrote 5 months ago

There are uncountable many ways of fixing problems but not so many of respecting people. If someone doesn't want to adjust his answer, respect it and, if you aren't content with it, write one yourself (as I already said, the most restrictive license is CC BY-SA 4.0), build a feature that lets you write alternative versions of the answers (eg within a toggle list all the versions could be displayed), or create a "trust status", that is, trust a user until he shows he doesn't take the plataform seriously and only then revoke all or some of his rights (making clear from the beginning that that could happen). If instead you treat users as children or sheep, they will go away or become children or sheep.

It's always better to treat people as pleople and deal with the upcoming problems all together in good faith. If you don't make things that way around here, that's okay with me, I'll migrate. After all, I am no one and, if you think the way you are doing things is the right one, go ahead.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote 5 months ago

JohnnyJohn‭ Fixing obvious errors isn't disrespectful. I certainly meant no disrespect when editing your post. We all make mistakes. Occasional simple typos are no big deal. I've had others edit my posts to fix them, and never considered it an affront or some kind of insult. My thought is usually "Oops, good catch".

There have been times when someone made edits that went too far in changing how I wanted to present something, so I rejected the edit or rolled it back. That's rare. I didn't consider it a big deal or felt disrespected. There was a disagreement on presentation style, so I as author got to decide. I've never had anyone try to re-edit something I objected to on this site. It did happen with one particular user Elsewhere. That was exceptionally rare, and the mods stepped in and put a stop to it.

Peter Taylor‭ wrote 5 months ago

You say "If someone doesn't want to adjust his answer" but how do we know that if they don't start the answer with "I don't want anyone to make even minor edits to this post"? The default assumption of this site is that people want to collaborate to build something together, not that people want to stake out turf or that they have their personal sense of self-worth bound up in formatting choices.