Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on What are the Peano axioms?

What are the Peano axioms?

+0
−5

According to Wikipedia,

The nine Peano axioms contain three types of statements. The first axiom asserts the existence of at least one member of the set of natural numbers. The next four are general statements about equality; in modern treatments these are often not taken as part of the Peano axioms, but rather as axioms of the "underlying logic".[6] The next three axioms are first-order statements about natural numbers expressing the fundamental properties of the successor operation. The ninth, final axiom is a second-order statement of the principle of mathematical induction over the natural numbers, which makes this formulation close to second-order arithmetic.

The first axiom I find intuitive: “there exists at least something”.

What are the four axioms regarding equality - the classic properties of reflexivity, transitivity, and symmetry? And the fourth?

How can these be seen as the “underlying logic”? I think my hope was the Peano axioms were fundamental, defined in terms of primitive notions. Now it seems they are axioms written in first order logic (or second order)?

What are the three fundamental properties of the successor operation?

If the ninth axiom is “second-order”, does this mean, if a first order logic has variables restricted to some “domain” (a “domain of discourse”), that a second-order logic has variables whose values are themselves the first-order sentences?

(In which case, I believe the ninth axiom is the way of expressing the “infinitude” of natural numbers in a finite way. If we can assume the existence of any arbitrary “function” (since FOL assumes that), then the “successor function” is not any particular function; just a function, applied successively: f(x), f(f(x)), …). In order to express “do this forever”, we have to express perhaps a recursive rule? F(f(x) = f(f(x)) (where ‘f’ is now a variable - ie, these are variables that range over functions).

That said: a variant of these axioms, PA1, is considered a first order theory. Whereas the article says these axioms are close but not equal to second order arithmetic. So in what way are the natural numbers in between these two theories?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

The quoted paragraph is a summary of the article and is not self-contained (1 comment)
The quoted paragraph is a summary of the article and is not self-contained
Derek Elkins‭ wrote 3 months ago

I don't understand many of your questions. They are answered in the article itself. For example, "What are the four axioms regarding equality [... a]nd the fourth?" The answer is the four it lists in the body of the article. The paragraph you quote is a summary of the article and is not meant to be self-contained.

My answer to several of your questions is "read the rest of the article". If the article hasn't answered some question adequately, you need to be a lot more specific and clear about what you feel isn't addressed by the article. More broadly, this post contains many different questions, several which could be separated into their own questions, like the questions about second-order logic or the "underlying logic".

As a partial answer, Peano was working before first-order logic was formulated, though the immediate precursors were in the air at the time and Peano would have been familiar with them. His formulation looks a bit strange to modern eyes.