"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Without trial and error, how can I effortlessly deduce all $n, k_i ∈ ℕ ∋ \binom n {k_1, k_2, ..., k_n} =$ given c?

Without trial and error, how can I effortlessly deduce all $n, k_i ∈ ℕ ∋ \binom n {k_1, k_2, ..., k_n} =$ given c?

+1
−4

With online or computer software, for a given $c ∈ ℕ $, how can I efficiently deduce all natural numbers that $n, k_i ∈ ℕ ∋ \dbinom n { k_1, k_2, ..., k_i} = c$ ? For example below, $i = 1, \color{limegreen}{c = 4,072,530}$. Rule out trial and error!

Context

You get two sets of six numbers from 1-45 per $1 play.

Hence, $\Pr($winning Lottario's jackpot$) = \dbinom {45}{6}{\color{red}{/2}} = \color{limegreen}{4,072,530}$.

But as I prefer to pick unpopular "numbers to reduce the number of ways you split the prize", I loathe that

2.3 For each 6-number selection chosen, the on-line system shall choose for the player six additional computer-generated numbers from the class of one to 45.

I asked why OLG don't let players pick this 2nd 6-tuple. OLG's phone operator replied

I am not an actuary, but I understand what you want. If I recall my high school math, it is impossible for any integers k ≤ 20, n to satisfy $\dbinom n {k} =$ any integer around 4 million. If this was possible, our actuaries would have actioned this already! OLG requires k ≤ 10, because research proves that players dislike picking over 10 integers, which they find inconvenient. Remember, many players buy physical paper tickets.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

2 comment threads

x-post https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/4770854/effortlessly-without-trial-and-error-how-can-... (1 comment)
Sockpuppet accounts (2 comments)
Sockpuppet accounts
Derek Elkins‭ wrote 8 months ago

Why are you posting questions as multiple accounts? It seems pretty clear that "Ethen" and "Chgg Clou", among others, are the same person. What are the odds that multiple people have independently arrived at a similar time with a heavy interest in basic questions about Canadian lotteries and also share several quirks in their posting styles, e.g. linking entire paragraphs?

trichoplax‭ wrote 8 months ago

I'm not aware of any rules against a user having multiple accounts, so I've asked about it on Meta.