"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Does every divergence-free vector field arise as the curl of some vector field?

Does every divergence-free vector field arise as the curl of some vector field?

+6
−0

I was introduced to the concepts of gradient $\nabla f$, curl $\nabla \times F$ and divergence $\nabla \cdot F$ in an introductory course on calculus during my undergraduate studies. There I learnt that for any scalar function $f$ on $\mathbb{R}^2$ or $\mathbb{R}^3$, we have $\nabla \times (\nabla f) = 0$. Moreover, we saw the following standard example of a vector field $F$ on an open subset of $\mathbb{R}^2$ such that $\nabla \times F = 0$ but for which $F \neq \nabla f$ for any scalar function $f$, namely, $$ F(x, y) = \left( \frac{-y}{x^2 + y^2}, \frac{x}{x^2 + y^2} \right) $$ for every $(x, y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 \setminus \{ (0,0) \}$.

Analogously, it seems to me, we also showed that for every vector field $F$ on $\mathbb{R}^2$ or $\mathbb{R}^3$, we have $\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times F) = 0$. However, we did not consider the converse: if $F$ is a vector field on some subset of $\mathbb{R}^2$ or $\mathbb{R}^3$ such that $\nabla \cdot F = 0$, is it true that $F = \nabla \times G$ for some vector field $G$?

My guess is that this is not true, just as the analogous earlier question regarding the curl and the gradient had a negative answer. However, I'm not able to come up with any counterexample. I understand that (in the $\mathbb{R}^2$ case) I'm interested in finding a vector field $G(x, y) = G_1(x, y) \hat{\iota} + G_2(x, y) \hat{\jmath}$ such that $$ \frac{\partial G_2}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial G_1}{\partial y} = F_3(x, y), $$ where $F = F_3(x, y) \hat{k}$ is the vector field I'm starting out with. This reminds me of an exact differential equation, but I admit I'm not familiar enough with the concept to be able to proceed further.

More generally, I would like to know whether we can put precise conditions on when a divergence-free vector field is the curl of some vector field. Like in the earlier case, I expect that the geometry of space should play an important role: there, asking that the domain be simply connected was a sufficient condition to guarantee the existence of the function $f$, so perhaps something similar will happen here as well?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
The Amplitwist‭ wrote about 3 years ago · edited about 3 years ago

Taking another look at the displayed equation in my post, I think I can take $G_1 = 0$ and $G_2 = \int F_3(x, y)\, dx$ (or the other way around) provided the integral exists. This seems to provide some criterion at least in the $\mathbb{R}^2$ case.

r~~‭ wrote about 3 years ago

Counterexamples in Analysis (Gelbaum and Olmsted), p. 126, offers $\vec{F}(x, y, z) = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}(x\vec{i} + y\vec{j} + z\vec{k})$, defined everywhere but the origin, as a counterexample. This suggests that a simply connected domain is not sufficient—IIRC it needs to be 2-connected, in addition to being sufficiently differentiable, but I can't find a source for this right now or I'd make an answer.