Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on MathJax config: newlines in eqnarray contexts

MathJax config: newlines in eqnarray contexts

+4
−0

In my answer to https://math.codidact.com/questions/278268 I have a couple of eqnarray contexts which are being rendered by MathJax but aren't being broken into lines as they should. This works fine in other sites with MathJax which I used to use, so I suspect that it's a problem with the configuration here. If I'm wrong, how should I alter my markup to make it work?

Tagged both bug and support because although I think it's the former it might turn out to be the latter.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
General comments
Derek Elkins‭ wrote over 3 years ago

I've suggested an edit that "fixes" the post (so if the edit is accepted people should look in the history to see the original form). That said, the intuition of the change I made is that the backslashes needed to be escaped. However, they probably shouldn't need to be escaped and so some MathJax or Markdown reconfiguration may be needed. (At which point my suggested edit will likely need to be undone.)

Derek Elkins‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

A problem that is almost certainly related is that sometimes the Markdown processor will convert substrings delimited by underscores to italics when those underscores are part of the MathJax, thereby breaking the MathJax. Peter Taylor's issue and this one are almost certainly due to the Markdown processor not being aware of TeX dollar signs. This leads to the Markdown processor breaking the TeX. (I deal with a similar issue with my blog.)

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Derek, now that you mention it, I'd noticed that I had to escape the backslashes for backslash-curlybrace to get the multiset notation to work. I should have put 2 and 2 together myself. Thanks for the diagnosis.

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago

Note to site admins: I haven't wrapped the multiline stuff in $$ because it was rendering identically in the preview. IMO it would be a perfectly reasonable approach to look for/write a Markdown plugin to treat the MathJax delimiters $ and $$ as start and end delimiters of a section where escapes should be ignored, and I would be happy to add some $$ to my answer.