"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on The probability distribution of rolling $n$ dice and keeping $k$ highest

The probability distribution of rolling $n$ dice and keeping $k$ highest

+6
−0

In many roleplaying games one rolls a handful of dice and calculates their sum. In some games there are bonus or penalty dice, so that we roll, for example, 4 dice with six sides and take the sum of the three highest, ignoring the lowest.

So let us fix some notation. We are rolling $n \ge 0$ dice with $s \ge 1$ sides. The dice are iid distributions selecting uniformly random number from ${1, 2, \ldots, s}$. We want to keep $k \le n$ highest of the results and calculate their sum. We want to know the probability distribution, or at least as much as we can of the distribution; what is the average, for example?

An analytical formula would be the best, of course, but probably out of reach. If $k = n$, that is, we are not discarding any dice, the way I would calculate the probability distribution is to represent the single die as a probability generating function and then use multiplication of polynomials for the addition of probability distributions. I don't thing anything similar is possible here, but maybe I am wrong.

Of course, just going through every possible permutation of die results is technically possible, but it provides little general insight.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (5 comments)
General comments

Skipping 1 deleted comment.

r~~‭ wrote over 3 years ago

You might be interested in Troll, a language and interpreter for expressing complex dice probabilities. The case you're interested in would be sum largest k nDs in the Troll language (with suitable constants for $k$, $n$, and $s$). Perhaps one of the papers, or the source code, holds a general answer for you.

Peter Taylor‭ wrote over 3 years ago · edited over 3 years ago

The case $k=1$ is also easy: we take $X = \max_{i=1}^n(X_i)$ and observe that for $x \in [1, s]$, $P(X \le x) = \left(\frac{x}{s}\right)^n$ because each independent die must roll no more than $x$. From that we can get $P(X = x)$ in closed form and $E(X)$ in terms of Faulhaber's formulas.

tommi‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Peter Taylor Thanks, I am aware. @r~~ Thanks, I did not find a general solution in the papers.

Stephan Kolassa‭ wrote over 3 years ago

The keyword to search for is "order statistics". Searching for "order statistics dice" or similar gets us a thread at CrossValidated, Relevancy of order statistics to the roll-and-keep dice mechanic? I think the most important insight is at the end of the answer there: "Order statistics for discrete distributions are messy, so I don't expect to find a big simplification by using them. "

tommi‭ wrote over 3 years ago

@Stephan Kolassa Could you write an answer based on that?